Sunday, March 4, 2012

Spring

      Well yesterday was a beautiful day, and I m happy that I got out early enough to enjoy it. We reached 63 degrees and you could smell Spring in the air. The signs are all around that the earth is waking and renewing itself. I even saw daffodils in my neighbor's yard. You can just feel the difference, and even today at only 44 degrees it just doesn't seem as cold as 44 does in January. I know that sounds silly but it's true!! lol  I was driving and already saw a few adventurous types with the tops down on their cars. I will wait a bit to go driving without my top but I know it will be soon. I did however have my windows down and the choonz were cranked up. Jill Scott was telling us about a young lady she saw at the bus depot in Philly, then later Linkin' Park was asking to be Somewhere They Belonged and the drive ended with Koffee Brown telling us whats gonna happen After the Party.  With many other various choonz mixed in.  LOL  I was just enjoying the feel of the sun on my skin.  
      Spring is my second favorite season I think. I love the milder temps but still a coolness in the evenings. I love the smell of earth warmed by the sun, the buds are starting to bloom and soon the trees in my neighborhood will bloom. We have some really pretty ones, white dogwoods, dark red blooms on the Japanese maples. There is also really cool purple flowers, on trees that I have no idea what they are called. My Dad was telling me that Easter is early this year and it made me smile because it ties in so well to my Pagan beliefs. I mean the Vernal Equinox is how the day of Easter is selected. It's the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Equinox.  LOL  We call it Ostara and it's to celebrate the rebirth of the earth, bringing new life from what seemed to be dead, but was just sleeping. New starts, new beginnings are all hailed this day.  The symbols are the "hare" and of course eggs .   So now you know why we have chocolate rabbits and eggs for Easter. The Christians celebrate their New Life as well. I went to 12 years of Catholic school as well as a Catholic University but the religion never fit right for me and then I found out why. I celebrate what is in me, and have no disrespect for what anyone else follows. I just find it interesting how much Christianity has Pagan roots!  
     I do have some sweet news, my hubby presented me with a beautiful Pandora bracelet yesterday. I was beyond touched, this is NOT the norm for him. The fact that he went to the Pandora website, chose the charms he wanted to give me, and went to the jewelery store to get it all on his own is huge!!  I am so very thankful and surprised. I admit I had seen the paper he had written up and I have to say the fact he had this all picked out meant as much to me if not more than the actual bracelet. I really am lucky, he's a good man, and even after 17 years he still love me. I treasure things like this, I adore getting surprises, who doesn't? I am feeling very spoiled at the moment. :-) 
     I am still feeling spoiled from last weekend also. I tell you peeps some things just stay with you, and all week I have been seeing thoughts in my mind and I can't help but smile. Even this morning drinking my tea I was reminded of how fortunate I am (as it was a gift to me & hubs). Crossing fingers as to ward off the negative I will say that life is good, not perfect, but good and that's all one can ask for. Today the infection I had in my leg seems to be dissipating and the redness is now a pink blush. My knee, well it still hurts but time will heal (as will more weight loss). I have to make cards and one is for a lovely young lady who will be 9. I have a special idea in my head and I hope I can produce it for real.   The Christmas cards I sent (TWICE!!) never got to her and I want her to love this one. We shall see how it turns out as you know I will post a pic of it. hahaha  

     I am posting a recipe here that is an Italian tradition for me at Easter (now Ostara ) time. It's called Pastiera di Grano or Easter Wheat Pie. It takes some time but it's worth it. Use the wheat but you can substitute aborio rice which I personally don't like to do, they now have canned wheat all ready to use but I can't find it here in VA  :-(    If you try it I hope you like it as not everyone does  LOL

Ingredients:
For the Filling:
1/2 pound wheat berries or hulled wheat (from soft wheat)
8 large eggs, separated
3 pounds ricotta cheese
2 cups granulated sugar (can be lessened if you choose)
zest of half a lemon or whole lemon if small
1 tablespoon orange flower water
1 tablespoon (and dash more lol) pure vanilla extract
Candied citron (optional, but I add it)
cinnamon to taste (optional - this I don't use in the filling)
For The Dough:
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
6 large eggs
Pinch salt
few dashes of cinnamon (use good cinnamon such as Saigon)
5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
Directions:
To prepare wheat for the filling:
Rinse hulled wheat with water and place in a large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover and let soak overnight in the refrigerator. Drain the wheat and place in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 to 30 minutes, until tender. Cool completely for use in the recipe.
1. In a large bowl, beat 8 egg yolks. (Set egg whites aside in a separate bowl for later.) Add ricotta, wheat, and sugar. Mix until well incorporated. Add vanilla and candied fruit pieces, lemon zest and mix well. Beat egg whites until fluffy and foamy and fold into ricotta mixture.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, 6 eggs, pinch of salt. Knead until a dough is formed.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking pans with shortening and set aside. Cut a piece of the dough, according to the size of the pan, and roll it out with a rolling pin. The dough should not be too thick. Lay dough into the greased baking pan. Fill the pan with the ricotta mixture.
4. For the top crust, cut another smaller piece of dough and roll very thin. Cut this into strips and place across top of pie, in a criss-cross pattern. Press the dough edges together with a fork, like a pie.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.

     Well peeps I may be back tonight but if not I will be back here tomorrow night so until then Ciao For Now

No comments:

Post a Comment