Monday, December 29, 2014

Happy Birthday Daddy

     Today my dear old man, turns 87. I'm not young, but I truly could be a lot older. Mom and Dad were well on their way to 40, when herself turned up. Lol I resemble my dad quite a bit. My Da used to love telling me that when I was born, he and a few other new dads were looking at the babies, behind the viewing glass. Yep, I guess they really did that, I don't really remember, so I'll take dad's word for it. He told me that the nurse picked me up and pointed right to my dad. I was a daddy girl, I admit it. Dad would alwYs take me out on Sundays while mom made our big Sunday macaroni dinner. Yes, grandparents, cousins. I was underfoot as I wanted to be included, ya know, help. (Wow, not much has changed lmfao) so dad would take me to this kiddie amusement park called McGuiness. I'd go on rides for a few hours, then dad would take me home. Movies were another treat. As I got older, I went over to the Mom side. Hell, she had cookies, :-) and recipes and we shared a love of decorating and houses. As I got older, and is watched my dad go through the loss of his mother, his sister and brothers and of course my mother. I realized this man, was strong, he held 2 jobs when I was growing up so I could attend a good school. We had a nice house, a car, summers at the shore. I never wanted for anything. Silent guardian of 221st street. I also noticed how lost he was when my mother died. He cried in church that day, I never saw him cry before. It rattled me, he cried several times after. I was scared he wouldn't want to go on. Life though has a way go going on. He worked it out and now he is enjoying life again. I go see him as often as I can, and he now tells me stories of his youth. Some are typical New York City stories. Turning the fire hydrants on as his sister and her friends walked by. Sleeping on the fire escapes. Telling his mom he was sleeping at a friends house, then they all slept overnight under the boardwalk at Coney Island. Scandal I tell ya. Hahaha my dad was so normal, such a fun loving kid. Then I find out, he ate dog food without knowing it. Lol so many stories. Odd, all my life I thought I was more like my mother and I'm finding out I'm so much like my dad. That's okay though, he's a pretty cool guy.  Until next time, love your dad's. Ciao For Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment