Thursday, June 28, 2012

ART

     Today on facebook an aquaintance of mine posted a picture of a painting she had done. It was a stone angel she named Eli. Looking at this painting I was moved, the face was serene, kind and seemed like he was listening to a friend or a child speaking to him. The look was very calming. I made this exact comment and she thanked me saying I was the first one to get it! I was pleased that what she was trying to portray did indeed speak to me. That is the beauty of art in a nutshell. It is an expression that the artist puts forth so that you can feel it as well.  Look; I am by no means any art expert. I do have the artists that I like;  Monet, Van Goth, Seurat, Waterhouse, and Lichtenstein being but a handful of them. I have no rhyme or reason as to what I like - I just do!!  As you can tell from those I listed they are all over the charts as to the styles of their works. Art does speak to me, I admire those who are blessed with this talent. I can hold my own in a game of pictionary but I am no artist! That doesn't mean I don't have an artististic mind - I do- but bringing what I see or think of, down from my brain, past my arm, into my fingers and on to canvas loses everything in the translation. I do sing, write stories and poetry but to be able to draw is sadly not my forte at all. One I dream of having too, isn't that always the way though. 
     I tell you one of my best days ever.  I was meeting a friend in Manhattan for a day of enjoying the time together catching up and just enjoying a dear friend's company and we went to MoMa (Metroplolitan Museum Of Modern Art). I had such a wonderful time, all the fabulous pieces of art that were there hanging on the walls and then the sculptures to top it off, talk about a fabulous place!!! We walked into one room and it was filled with Monet's Waterlillies. I almost cried I was so overwhelmed. The paintings I had only seen in books or online were right there in front of me. I saw the colors he used blending and the subtile changes that occured because of that.   Now here is something to think about. Afterwards we went to Gordon Ramsey's restaurant and I again saw art on my plate in the way the food was presented to us. (Plus it was fabulous of course) Art doesn't have to be on canvas ;-) All being said, that day will live on forever in my memory as one of my BEST DAYS ever! To be able to share that experience with your friend, someone you care about, and can laugh with, well damn if it wasn't a close to perfect as I will ever come. It was a true first experience for me between the museum and the restaurant.
     My friend that I was with is also a fine artist in his own right. His style again is very different but it touches me.  Art to me is something you see with your eyes but it touches your soul! Something about it catches you and leaves its impression on you. It brings your emotions out and makes you feel alive.  Music which is another art form does this as well. To me life would be unbearable if there were no art or music in the world. Shakespeare wrote: "If music be the food of love, play on"  I say if music be the food of love, stuff yourself!! LOL  Enjoy the art around you, from the street art and graffiti, to the museums in your town, appreciate what the artist wants to tell you. Listen to all kinds of music, even things you don't normally listen to, ask around to friends to see what they like. If you don't feel it, keep going as you will indeed find something to your liking. 
     Wow can you tell when I'm really into something  HAHAHAHA  Oh peeps it's been so busy at work but I alwasy do try to swing by and leave you something to read.  I see blogs all over websites and I know mine pales to many of them but I am a flighty chick.  Do you remember the song from the Sound Of Music that went How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?   Well let me tell you, I so identify with that song.....I had a conversation once with a friend and when I was done talking he went "What?! I don't understand"  my answer was "Listen!"   He burst out laughing and said I was hard to understand but funny. I remember thinking "What's wrong with that?"  Peace out peeps, you each stay beautiful in your own way.  Ciao For now

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really cool guy. Does he do tattoo designs at all ?

    ReplyDelete