Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tales of the Father (or weekend round-up)

     Well got home to NY around 1AM Friday morning and couldn't sleep, maybe it was the heat in the room, maybe it was just over tiredness, I don't know but I was summoned at 8AM as usual by my Dad, the same way he does on any given morning that I am there. First order of business it to make breakfast. Hubs and i bought him a new coffee maker for Christmas and I had to show him how to use it. Dad is such a creature of habit and losing the coffee maker he had the last 10 years rocked his world. Now don't be concerned as he is now brewing nicely in the new one.   We took a long drive out to the cemetary to visit my mother's grave and I bought a lovely Christmad decoration for the grave that will be delivered this coming week. She is buried in a National Cemetarty called Calverton in Long Island (since my dad is a Navy veteran)  and its actually a very serene place , folks are dying to get in there...boo - groan- sorry bad joke I know, had to!  LOL
     It was interesting talking to my Dad as he now loves to tell stories. He told me this weekend whern he graduated grammar school (age 13) he was called over by ones of the nuns and he thought he did something wrong, turns out she told him ..wait  let me preface this in that for the ceremony they had to walk with a partner doen the aisle, so back to story, the nun told my dad that 4 girls wanted to be his partner. LMAO he had to pick one of them. I just laughed and told him, wow, even back then Dad you were beating them off with a stick, he laughed.  The rest of the weekend with him was pretty nuch the same, I mena he gets me riled up in a terrible way, and we argue but in reality we are very much alike which I dont know if that is calming to me or scares the crap out of me! :-)  
     Yesterday I went in the say hello to our neighbors and chatted a bit, they have such a pretty tree all decorated, and then I was off to Brooklyn to visit with some friends for a birthday/Christmas gathering.  It was such a nice time and lots of laughs, good food, drinks and just a confortable great time. Of course hearing all of them say how good I looked did much for my ego I admit. LOL
     It's kind of weird sitting here in the breakfast nook writing this blog this morning. I used to do my homework in here. Mom, Grandma and I would have tea every afternoon here, really on weekdays every day around 3:30 - 4 PM we enjoyed the ladies time. This house has so many memories for me and I get a bit melencholy when I am alone with my thoughts on occasion. Just that I lived here all my life practically, it was home and even though I had my own apartments over the years I was always welcome back with open arms. This house is as much part of my childhood as any person ever would be.  
     Today I am leaving in about an hour and head back to my life in VA. I will always be part of this place and it lives in me. I like that, I claim it proudly and loudly (hey I'm a NY Biatch after all LOL) 
     Okay  may be back tonight as it depends on what I get into when I get home. So untill next we meet peeps, as always Ciao for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment