Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hump Day is almost over

     Okay boys & girls we meet again at the usual time. Today has been a great one. I had the pleasant experience yesterday of having that lineman wave at me and today some man chatted me up in the grocery store. This tends to happen in bunches , like it may happen again tomorrow but then it is goint to stop for awhile. I guess I look non-threatning.  My director, as he was leaving, said okay Mary I leave the helpdesk in your capable hands. I said no worries Jose and then he turned to me and said, no I really mean that. It wasn't like this before and it is like a weight is lifted off my shoulders not having to worry when I leave. I was quite touched and it was really nice to hear. I mean I've only been supervisor for 8 months and there are things I'm still learning but it made me feel accomplished that he felt that way. Thank you again Heir Director!!! :-D
     So I told you I would have a story or something for you and I meant it. I have no idea if it's good or bad but it's what came out of my mind a few years back. You see Christmas was always magical for me and sadly it has become somewhat lacking for me and although I try to bring it back it will never be the same as it was. Maybe I used to see it through a child's eyes but I still get excited at decorated houses, moved to tears at hearing a childrens choir, I need to get it back and that is my wish for next year but this year i am again posting this as it lifts my heart. I hope that in some way it can do the same to all of you , maybe help you remeber a past time now forgotten. So here you are, be kind as the memory grows more fragile (& PRECIOUS) each passing year.  I call it The Ghosts Of Christmas:

     The Ghosts of Christmas’ past are whispering in my ear. I close my eyes and I am taken to a place, That will always live in my heart. 
     I can still smell the tree that my Mom & I decorated. I see all the decorations, lovingly displayed each year. I can hear my mother’s voice singng "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"  
     I remember times when there was no room left under the tree, I also remember those few years when there was very little.  It didn’t matter either way, just being with my family was enough. 
     Oh the joy of being able to finally help in the kitchen all through the night,  3 generations…so many stories…the good natured arguing of which way is best, so much love shared between daughters.
    Tasting calamari for the first time ( and finding out what it was - a shock for sure!!! LOL).  My mom letting me make the sauce and helping with the meatballs. A definite coming of age indeed! As grandma looked on to make sure it was done right.
    The bayberry candle burning in the sink. The eggnog I drank that Grandma snuck some amaretto in. Walking to midnight mass - wearing our new Christmas corsages.

     Since that time in life - The tree has been put up countless times - A ton of wrapping paper and tape have been used - But no matter what happens or where I am, my mother and grandmother will always be there.
     I feel my grandmother’s hand as I stir my sauce. I know my mother is there as I decorate the tree. I am so blessed to have known them and had them in my life.  
     Our past is who we are and gives us strength to draw from as we make our futures
 This is also for all of you. May your hearts and homes be full of joy and love during this Holiday Season. Because memories are one size fits all, and they never wear out!!

So until next time, ciao for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment