Sunday, October 30, 2011

14 years ago

     10/29.1997 I remember it as if it was yesterday, the call came from my Dad about 5:00 AM. come quick the hospital called, Mom isn't doing well. Pat & I jumped out of bed and drove as fast as safely possible. By the time we got to my Dad she was gone. They had only just called. I sat there stunned, it had been just over a week that she was admitted. My father looked so lost, I don't know who I was crying for at that point but I think it was for him. I really didn't cry for my Mother until after it was all over. I didn't have time as I had to help my Dad with the arrangements and then the wake and funeral. My Uncle came to stay with us for a few days, my Dad's brother who was in the religious order. He spoke so nicely at the wake. All the neighbors and relatives came and all I kept thinking was how good my mother looked there. There was no pain on her face anymore. I guess that I had just gotten so used to seeing it that I didn't notice how much pain until it was gone. She looked about 10 years younger in her casket, the make up person did a lovely job in making the make up look natural instead of plastic as I have seen some.
     I was very fortunate to have her in my life, we used to go on drives looking at new homes and little weekend jaunts to Connecticut or Massachusetts. I will never forget the time she asked me if I had ever had sex. I was 23 and was amused by the question. I told her yes I had and she asked when. I told her when I was 16 with Chris. She just sat there and I expected a lecture but she smiled and said Chris was a nice boy. She then asked me what about Henry? (my next boyfriend) I said yes. Then she got quiet again, now you have to be told Mom adored Henry, he was very attentive to me. I was not prepared for the next question. She asked me "How was it?" Oh hell Mom, I not going to answer that which is what I told her in so many words. She laughed and said well my little girl is a woman. I told her she taught me well to respect myself and not to bed hop. She was very open about sex and she always said that if each person cared for the others pleasure both will have the best outcome. Her words. Yes my good Catholic Italian mom had a deep understanding of sex, who knew. LOL   She loved to host parties too, we always had something going on. I so loved those parties, when I got older me & Julie (my bestie back then) were able to stay up and even have a drink of champagne every now and again. 
     Oh Mom I miss you so much, our last trip to Massachusetts after your chemo was so fun, never thought I'd get drunk with my mom but we did (a few times LOL)  You left me the year after I got married, so I never really had you to help me through the things a new wife does. I know you would have loved helping me set up house and i would loved to have gone shopping with you. I miss you everyday, and still draw on the strength that you passed on to me. I just want to hold you once more but now i do it in my memories. You will always be loved and remembered as long as I have breath in my body. 
     I could go on & on with stories about this wonderful woman but I won't bore you further. Mom I love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment