Thursday, March 21, 2013

Eye Of New, Tongue Of Bat

     All those lotions and creams we use to stay beautiful. I am a bathroom lotion/potion & also, scent junkie. You know how some people can lose themselves in a bookstore or computer store, well, set me inside a store like Lush or Molton Brown, Bath & Body Works, or The Body Shop, and I can spend the day. I will play with the all the products and be filled with glee. Put me in a store like Sephora and I will need a change of underwear! (Tonight's blog is not about scent, as I do not try to make perfume,  but rather enjoy the scent I find on my own, or given to me as a gift.)
     I always have been this lotion & natural skin care lover. I get it from my maternal grandmother. My Mom was a cold cream gal, but not Nana. She had all these lotions, and perfumes and powders. To this day I still use Coty air spun powder to "finish off" and set my make up. It has a big puff and I love tapping it on my face like a 1940's film star. I only wish I had a proper make up table from the forties and fifties, with a big round mirror to sit in front of to put it on. Like these, with pretty bottles and brushes on display. Lace draped on it. Necklaces hanging on the edge. Can't you picture the starlets getting ready in silk dressing gowns? I just adore them. LOL

     Make up brands have come and gone. In the 1980's I wore Stagelight make-up, it was shimmer and wild colors and god I loved it! Now I like more muted natural tones with an occasional splash of shimmer if I'm going somewhere special. Urban Decay is a favorite now. I remember Nana came home with this new stuff called Oil Of Olay, when I was a kid. She used it religiously and she did have lovely skin.
     Something else she taught me was natural body care. Things to use that you found in the kitchen or hall closet. She showed me that mixing sugar, plain old white sugar, with some olive oil, made a wonderful scrub for your skin to keep it soft. Mayonnaise or an avocado mashed up, could be slathered on your hair to condition and soften it. Olive oil was great for that too. Just take some olive oil, comb it through your hair, then wrap your hair in a towel that was soaked in hot water (being sure to wring it out first lol) leave it for a half hour at least, or even until the towel was almost dry. It conditioned hair and helped with split ends. This was way before VO5 came out with the pricey hot oil treatments. My mom did this in the 40's. (hmm hooked on those years tonight I'm noticing)
    For years now I have made sugar scrubs and relaxing salt baths, using herbs and natural oils. You learn what works for certain things. I have a jar that you will find I mixed Epsom salts, lavender oil and vanilla oil (I made by splitting a vanilla bean and steeping it in Grape seed oil. It's not only relaxing but its soothing to the skin as well.  I may use citrus oils for a wake up type scrub. I will take honey and calendula oil mixed with salt, that I grind very fine, then wet a pumice stone and use to exfoliate my calluses on my heels. I had horrid issues with this and I will tell you, calendula oil is pricey but worth every dime, it's amazing! For tired feet, just fill a foot soak tub with Epsom salts and add some peppermint oil and rose oil. They will feel revived. I have a dream of opening a tea shop for my career, BUT, I would love a home with a room, off a hallway, that I can mix herbs and make lotions. Did you know witch hazel is good as a toner for your face? Helps bring down fever too. That last bit is not documented but again, Nana used it on me whenever I had fevers, and it brought them down. She did not put it on my forehead, she always used it on my wrists and neck. She said it had to go on pulse points. LOL Perhaps she is where I get my "witchy" ways from. Also strawberries mixed with baking soda will whiten your teeth. Honey all by itself is a wonderful moisturizer. I could go on and on.  Amazing to me, that with all the skin care products out there, so many places are using all natural ingredients. Lush is such a place and there are natural skin care products and lotions and soaps at markets like Whole Foods.        
     HAHAHA I have no idea how this blog came to be, I was writing down in my notebook some facial recipes and this blog came to me. Maybe not the most interesting blog, and perhaps sounded like it belonged in the movie "Practical Magic" but there it is!
    I was a quiet Spring Equinox here. Ostara came in with my candle burning and my prayers offered up for myself and my friends. Its just past midnight so the candle is soon going out and this gal is going to try and go to sleep. So until next time, Ciao For Now

1 comment: