Monday, March 16, 2015

St. Patrick, Friend Or Foe?

     Well tomorrow is the 17th of March. So many people wearing green, going out drinking Guinness because it seems the thing to do instead of because they like it. Of course this is not true for a lot of people, Guinness is good stuff, I like it, Sis likes it, it's going in my crock pot/ slow cooker so it will cook my corned beef. (More on that in a bit) it's very Irish, as I will also have my traditional shot of Jameson's at the end of the night. Not to salute good ol St. Paddy, but to toast all the people he tried to drive out of Ireland. You see it's told he drove the snakes out of Ireland. There are no snakes there. Snakes represent Pagans. He tried (and did a Good job) to turn the people towards Christianity. So drive out the snakes, get rid of those crazy Goddess loving folk. They worship nature those bad tardis, GET OUT OF THE EMERALD ISLE. For the last 26 years or so, this has turned my live of St. Patricks Day. Oh yes I have no trouble showing pride in my Celtic heritage, but Paddy himself? Not so much. So yes I will have a cheeky Guinness, some corned beef that's my own recipe (so good) I will toast my friends, my family and enjoy all the funny pictures on Facebook. I probably won't wear green. I'm a rebel, go ahead - pinch me. I like it. Lmfao.
     Now as for the corned beef tradition. Never came from Ireland. It's an American thing. Think about it. Corned Beef huge on the 17th. Also in any good Jewish deli. Hold up! Irish and Jewish fusion? No. Back at the turn of the century, in good old NYC down Bowery way, the Irish and Jewish areas were right near each other. So the Jewish folk introduced this fab cut of meat to the Irish pre foodies and it was a match made in heaven. I do mine in a slow cooker. In a bowl. Take 2 cans of Guiness add about a 1/2 to one can of water. The add 1/4 cup brown sugar, pickling spice, allspice, Coleman's dry mustard, mix it all together.  Put chopped carrots, potatoes , and a small head of cabbage ( 1/4rd) in the slow cooker, put the corned beef on top of veg, pour in the mix. Add some extra water to cover if needed. Cook on low for 8 hours.  Yum! Hahaha you just got a recipe. It's good, try it. My Grand Nan's Soda bread rounds out the meal. I make this for hubs once a year. If he's good I will make some homemade corned beef hash :-D.
     So enjoy the day, have some pints, tell some dirty jokes, Ciao For Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment