Tuesday, July 9, 2013

This Used To Be My Playground

     This is the song I hear whenever I come back home. It says to forget your past and then realizes that's not about to happen. How can it. How can you forget your past. It has what made you who you are today, and is what you pull your strength from for your tomorrows. I just read a post online in a group I am in about my hometown. Its from a woman (older than me I am assuming) who posted a letter that her mother wrote. It talks about the area when it was all farms and not many homes. How little by little, horse drawn carriages were replaced by trolleys, then buses and trains. It was very easy to picture the images in my head. I have lived here since 1962. Of course, I don't remember the early years that well, but from about 4 and up I have vivid memories. I truly enjoyed my childhood. Oh not that there wasn't grief, of course there was, but I never really got into any big trouble. I loved my parents and they loved me. Still do. My Dad seems to forget that I am a grown woman as he tucks the hundred dollar bill into my hand when I leave to go back home. "Just some pocket money" he always says. To refuse him would be an insult so when I am here I make sure i clean, and fill his refrigerator with food. I spend more than that 100 dollars but it doesn't matter at all. The same way he feels good doing that is how I feel about making sure he's okay. I like hearing him tell me "Mary Lee, you gave me too much", and I look down and his plate is empty. Too much? I'd say perfect amount. It's the same game every time. We know our places well. Many of mine are the same ones my Mom had, the feeding, the cooking. I cook under pretense of cooking to bring home to my hubby, then make enough for a small army.  Well used to I should say. I don't cook that much anymore since his new neighbors came a few years back. They cook for him, like an adopted dad. I am glad to be in NY and will be hear until next Monday. 
     I want to explore tomorrow as well as grocery shop. I may take a ride out to Long Island and see if I can find some clothes. I want to get some capri slacks for this party on Saturday and perhaps an nice pair of sandals too. We have the same stores that they have here, for us bigger gals I mean, but sometimes I find different things in the ones here. Demographics I guess. One thing I really need is new jeans. I have one pair that fits and that is getting loose on me. The others are ridiculous and hang off me. I want to get maybe another 2 for now. So many plans and it will be great if I get one of them done hehehe
   I just found that NY has opened their first Ice Bar. I may have to check that out. I have plans Thursday night and the weekend but Friday is free.  Ice Bar anyone??? LOL  They give you gloves and parkas. Sounds like my kind of place :-) 
    I brought my camera too this trip. I want to take pics of my old stomping grounds so you all can see what it looks like. God I love looking at pictures. I love seeing peoples expressions and try to imagine how they are feeling. I dont need to know them either, yea I know, weird! ;-) 
    Well peeps, I had a little libation, a glass of wine, so I am feeling quite cozy and comfy in my air conditioned little corner of the world. Face timed with hubby and spoke to my friend, watched some TV with Dad so its been a quiet but good night. So until next time I am saying Ciao For Now

No comments:

Post a Comment