Friday, July 12, 2013

The Best Laid Plans

          Oftentimes you plan an evening, and you don't get to do exactly what you had planned, BUT what you did end up doing turned out even better!! That was tonight. Oh we went to the same area. It's called the Nautical Mile in Freeport Long island. It's a strip comprising of about 6 blocks, two sides of the road, and lots of restaurants and bars. We were going to go to one called Rachels, very nice, a bit more upscale in setting, (and prices), no outdoor seating but a huge open room with glass walls to see out to the water. We got there, and since it was a weeknight we did not make reservations, and we were told about a 45 minute wait. My friend and I looked at each other and decided no. So out we go and decided to go into a place called Otto's. Like every restaurant on this strip they were hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. Some buildings were totally demolished but human beings are resilient and they all rebuilt. Otto's though was only partly done. The inside was not finished, we looked around it and it will be really nice once it's done but the outside bar area was in full swing. Big bar in front, facing the street, with a band area as well. Outdoor seating on the back deck called us in. We got a table right next to the water and were greeted by a friendly fellow who we found out was named Chris. Chris was very sweet, he knew how to compliment and flirt just enough to make you feel like a friend. I like that in a wait staff. We ordered our cocktails and viewed the menu for eats. If I had to classify Otto's, the word dive comes to mind. It's a calculated dive though. meaning it's meant to be casual, and enjoyable and comfortable. The seats were roomy, the tables had space between them and the atmosphere was beachy, like so many of the places here. Why not it's right on the water!  We sat and chatted when an announcement came over that they were now serving Mount Gay rum. It was a new thing for them so they were going around giving out free drinks. Not little samples either, these were proper rocks glasses of this golden goodness. Never one to pass up rum, we both took a freebie. Soon after our drinks arrived, so it was two fisted drinking to start the night. RIGHT ON!! The fare was limited to only about 12 items for a main course, not sure if this was because the place was still under renovation or just that way. I opted for the fish and chips. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a large piece of fish, cod I believe, and it was lightly battered, not heavy or greasy at all. These were not proper chips, not the steak fries that would normally be part of this, but they were crispy and again, not greasy at all. I ate about half only. Then while we were eating the music started. The bass player started a riff for a few minutes, funky and fine, then the sax came in, then the drums and guitar. They were really good. Bluesy, R&B and Funk was the theme. Think Tower of Power meets Al Green and George Benson. It just added to what was becoming an ideal night. Even the weather was good. It was hot, but not as humid as the night before, and the breeze off the water had that salty sea air smell that I just love! I wasn't taking chances though, I wore very little make up and no eye make up. Hey it's a beach area, I wasn't the only one. I will admit without my hair straightener, my hair was starting to look a little Diana Ross with a natural. LOL It was fun.  Then we ended to night going to a place that is known for its gelato. Yes I indulged, and it was worth every calorie!! I had planned for this and ate light the entire day so I was only over my calories by about 300. The day before it was so hot I barely ate and was under by 400 calories so I call that a draw LOL   I am in my room now, looking through pics we took and deciding what to post. Tomorrow though, too tired right now. Want to sleep, as tomorrow is another shopping day. I had no luck the other day, but my friend told me the store I want to go to tomorrow, has lots of capris, which is what I'm looking for. So it's Bedtime For Baggins. As always Ciao For Now

No comments:

Post a Comment