Saturday, June 15, 2013

I lost Another 2 Pounds, And Gained Some Self Awareness

     I weighed in this morning, and yay the scale went in the proper direction, BUT I think that more than losing weight, it's my realizations about myself and even life that I appreciate. 
     I know we all have our strengths and weaknesses, we need to praise our strengths and not hide them. No one would do that you say? Au contraire my friends. I know that there are many who "tone down" their accomplishments, such as a very smart girl who plays "dumb" so guys will like her. Or a person who can sing the shit out of a song and won't get up for karaoke. These are just two I can think of off the top of  my head. We are taught to be humble and not boast, and that is fine and dandy but we also need to be taught to embrace what we are capable of and try to better ourselves. Not to go against another (as we are ALL different) but to better ourselves against the former us. There is a quote by Ernest Hemingway that goes: "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to you former self." What great words to live by. Look I'm competitive, I don't like that in sports nowadays every kid plays, you should earn being on a team. I don't mean schoolyard games, I mean if you are in a league. Try to be the best you, earn your strengths and in so doing we discover our weaknesses. Now I am not saying that's always a bad thing or that you are a weak person. But lets be honest there are things that we can't do well. Here is another BUT!! Its doesn't mean you can't do them; just don't be sad if you can't do as well as someone else. It's not always a contest. This is something I had to learn.
     In losing weight, which has been a lifetime event for me, I could win a medal in great starts. I'm really good at that. I have gained and lost the same 20 pounds over and over again. In younger years it was easier, I was very active. I rode my bike, I played basketball. Because of this everyone said oh when she gets taller she will slim down. Guess what, I DIDN'T GET TALLER!!! LMAO   So as life got more sedimentary, instead of walking there was my car, I watched sports instead of playing them, I hung out in stead if riding my bike. My metabolism was not the same as my friends. There's that comparing again. haha. So before you know it, I find myself here just on the plus side of 50 and still not fit. Notice the phrasing as that's important. I say FIT! I know many people who the world will point and say FAT, but although they are by society's measures overweight, they ARE fit. America has become so weight obsessed that we for get that it's not just what the scale says. As a matter of fact I have recently seen articles that state a bit of chub can help you live longer. I don't know. I would never judge someone on their weight, since most of my life I have been judged by mine. If someone is happy and has no health issues, then enjoy your life as you want. Not happy about something then change it but do it because YOU want to. I was not happy and yes have issues that I need to change. So I joined a gym, have been counting calories and finally its starting to show. I am pleased and along the way I have noticed that for all my circuit machines and bikes and treadmills that I STILL have a walking issue. Go figure right? The simplest thing to do and that is what I have problems with. I can ride that bike on all terrains the machine offers.  I do the circuit machines with minimal issues but that damn treadmill is like my personal hell! Of course it's the one thing I am striving for, to be able to walk the streets of London when I visit, and of course more close to home, walk my fabulous streets of Manhattan without always looking to hail a cab! So want to discuss frustration!? BWAHAHAHA 
     I also mentioned strengths and I have them. I can drive well, cook very well and bake even better. I love people and am a damn good friend. I love my friends and family with every part of me. I am loyal, fun to be with, and damn I sound like a frigging golden retriever. :-D 
I am worth knowing, although I can go overboard, and I question a lot. I think that's from when I was younger I sometimes felt others were just going through the motions, and I want to be certain.  I am the proverbial work in progress, so many thoughts in my head at all times. I never fully get the chance to say all I want and ALWAYS think the best stuff after the conversation is over. I am long winded at times (proof with this particular blog) but I'm trying. I'm trying Mr. Hemingway to become more noble. 
     So I will end this here and say as always Ciao For Now


No comments:

Post a Comment