Friday, May 30, 2014

Ah Carbs, You Sneaky Bastards lol

     Been good all week. Today though was a bit of higher than normal carbs, and was it cake? NO Was it muffins? NO Was it bread? NO! It was BANANAS. Sneaky bastards, I had one as a morning snack, then I had one for dessert tonight. Wasn't feeling fantastic this afternoon, so I had Greek yogurt and fresh raspberries for dinner, all was well. I was full and felt better. Hubs decided to fix himself some beef hot dogs, and I like a good wiener now & then (hey hey keep it clean. Lmao), but the thought of it almost made me want to hurl. But I got peckish around 9 so I ate the damn banana. Still came in at just about 1000 calories, under my goal of 1200 , but not too far under as to make my body hold onto the weight. So I'm cool with it.
     I'm loving the onset of summer. NOT for the heat that comes with humidity, but for the fruits and produce I'm starting to see in the stores. I adore berries and peaches, plums, citrus of all types. Watermelon whispers sweet nothings to me and I must answer. I could forgo meats and just eat fruits and veg all summer. But I know I am not schooled in being a proper vegetarian, so I would not get near enough nutrients I need so I will have eggs, and meats too. Then there is the wonder of it being too hot to cook. My mom went through this when I was growing up. I don't really have that issue here as our home has central air, but in NY, as a child and into my teens, the summer meant cooking on the grill outside, or stovetop meals. Mom was clever and if she knew she was going to cook it happened on weekends very early in the morning or late at night. Then she would freeze the food and serve it after it thawed and was heated, yep, on the stovetop. Her meatloaf, well she would slice it, then simmer it in brown gravy. She even had a dessert recipe that was from when she was a girl. She called it ice box cake. I've seen it still with added tweaks that call it eclair cake. But I prefer it in it's original simple form. You basically cook Jello chocolate pudding (on the stovetop hehe) the you take a 9x13 pan and line the bottom with graham crackers. I suppose if you can't find them, you could use digestives or something similar. But the graham crackers taste the best. Then after you line the bottom of the pan with the crackers, you pour the pudding over them, then another layer do graham crackers, then pudding, and so on until done, ending with the graham crackers on top. Put it in the fridge for about 5 hours and the magic happens. The crackers soften and caress the pudding into a cool creamy lovely dessert. Mom would whip up some heavy cream with a tough of sugar and dollop it on the squares she would serve up. Simple and delicious. I would think if you used sugar free or low sugar graham crackers and sugar free jello it could be made as a low calorie dessert. Hmmmm, may look into it. BWAHAHA  I have a voracious sweet tooth, I'm trying so hard to curb it, so far okay, but god damn it it's hard. Eye on the prize right? Ack!!
      Had a wack- a- doodle on the phone this afternoon. She started screaming at me and wouldn't tell me her name or I'd number, nothing. She kept asking me why I needed those? I told her it's for her own security, if I can't verify who she is then I would be giving out information to a person who may or may not be her. It's the Schrödinger's cat of employees. Sheesh, she got so volatile I actually put her on hold and went to my director. He agreed to take the call of course, almost 45 minutes later he came to me and said I owe him while he was laughing. I think a drink was really what he needed. It happens I guess. Over 80,000 employees plus retired and gone ones. I should be grateful it doesn't happen more.
     Well peeps I'm heading to bed as it's just past the witching hour and this witch needs some rest. So I will say yet again, ciao for now.







No comments:

Post a Comment