Tuesday, February 18, 2014

One Hell Of A Town

     I'm quite sure that my views are not surprising. But I can promise they are unique, to me at least. Yet they are part of a huge network, a kind of unity that comes from knowing the experience of New York. You just don't live there, it seeps into your blood. You run on it's energy. When she suffers, we all feel it. I know you are saying, but every big city is like that. Perhaps, you are right. But I've lived in Hollywood, and now I'm right near Washington DC. Two huge cities, but although I will admit to certain "big city" similarities, they do not feel the same.
Hollywood was lonely. I walked those streets and it felt sheltered. As if to say, you are not from here, and you can live here if you want, but your an outsider! I certainly felt that way there. I admit that San Francisco felt more welcoming to me. I would definitely live up the coast if I lived in CA.
Now DC, seems a bit closer to NY. More squeezed together. Kind of like Disneyland as opposed to Disneyworld. The different areas of the city seem more compact. DC is not a big city, not in my opinion anyway. The people seem a bit similar to NY. And they welcome you in.
Which brings us to my original topic, New York. Let me introduce you to New York. I guess my first thoughts go to Brooklyn and Queens. Brooklyn is where I was born, so that already makes it amazing. Lol but really though, there is a family feeling there. Homes with families that sometimes have 3 generations living in the same place. Queens, is similar. Both places where you can take bus rides to get any ethnic food product. Queens was home, allying with Brooklyn in family for me. 40X100 plots of property, one or a rare two car garage. A backyard to play in and have weekend cookouts. Basketball hoops hanging over the garage door. I knew every kid on my street, I am still friends with lots of them. I'm going to fast forward to Manhattan, aka "The City"! Although NYC is comprised of 5 boroughs, Manhattan has gained this moniker. Ah NYC. How do I love thee? Well it's a love/sometimes hate relationship. Of course the trains can be so crowded and so sweaty. The taxi drivers seem to have trained as kamikaze pilots. But these pale when you experience the wonder the city has to offer. Now every part of the city has something to offer. Downtown has a funky vibe. I did The Rocky Horror Picture there on Fridays & Saturdays at midnight. It was fun. I went to clubs like Limelight and Danceteria. I loved Magique, which was The Tunnel prior to that. We danced till dawn. I even went to several launch parties for groups that I have no idea whatever happened to them. lol there was champagne flowing , lines on every available mirror and herbal scents in the air.
Midtown has working groups with awesome restaurants inside their buildings. Fun hide-a-ways to go have after hour drinks. Then the theater district that us awake 24 hours. Uptown where the beautiful people live. Woven in between the gilded wonder you find the taboo offerings. The swing clubs, the no tell motels, the underground rumble of the city. I've partied here as well and was never disappointed. But let me tell you of a favorite place. Well actually a memory that I will try to explain. If you go towards Columbus Circle, make a left, head uptown to the 70's. 72nd street you will find an entrance to Central Park. As you walk into the park, like magic, the sound fades away. It's surreal. You hear no sounds, of cars, or the rush of people moving about. It's like you are transported back to a more gentle time. It's very serene. Now I can spend hours there, and have. The park wraps around you like a comfortable blanket. I gave spent many a fabulous weekend here. But to me, for some odd reason. I love the city when it rains. The streets shine, and it just lends an entire dimension to the experience. Running across the street into a corner diner. Watch the rain fall as you have another cup of coffee. If you are sharing that coffee with a friend or lover, then that diner, becomes YOUR diner. It's now a secure haven in the bustling city. I guess you really can't explain it, unless you've experienced it. The people are weird, funny, great looking, sometimes nasty, but NY is home.
     I'm sure you are all saying, I know what you mean, but it's not NY, it's ....it's a place we all know, and I tell you. If you can, go visit. Some magical things happen there. I know this personally.
     Peeps it's been a day, I went to the doctors today. Seems that my pneumonia is still hanging on. I have to have another X-Ray done. I am on antibiotics now. I got an inhaler that contains this steroid that the commercial scares me so I'm calling the Dr. back tomorrow. I hate this so much. But I'm at work tomorrow so I can interact with others. Looking forward to it.
     Well until tomorrow peeps, as usual, Ciao For Now.













No comments:

Post a Comment