Sunday, September 1, 2013

On being a grown up - A thought in my head!

I wanted to be a grown up so much when I was younger. Now that I am one, (at least chronologically)  I'm having second thoughts. I never realised how much my parents shielded me from bad reality.  Things like, Vietnam, having to hold down 3 jobs between them,  not doing for themselves so I could go to "good" schools. I'm sure just the daily grind wore them down. I never knew it though. 
      Now I am aware if such things, of money issues, of world issues, of all the "bad" stuff! I understand my parents so much better now. I'm scared of what is going on around me but because of them, I'm not making it my focal point. I will act accordingly as I must do as an adult, but I will keep my inner child happy also. I will have fun with friends, enjoy sports, go to parties and movies. Do silly things on occasion. Because the one thing they could not teach me is that to be a good adult, you still have to let loose. I never knew why my parents always had house parties and holiday parties. They would send me up to bed but heard laughing and glasses clinking. I now know it was at that time, they had morphed back into kids. Just having fun. Being an adult is not always fun. But it is interesting I suppose. Okay I'll be one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment